My husband and I have been dreaming about a scallop pasta lately. We don't know why but it just sounded delicious. We planned all week that I would cook one for us on Friday evening before our Surge Orientation. (More on that soon!) I did some Pinterest-ing and found one that I wanted to try! As usual - I made some substitutes for convenience. For one - the original recipe called for ricotta cheese but our grocery store was out of it (so weird right?) and I had two full containers of Gorgonzola cheese in the fridge.
Lemon + Gorgonzola Pasta with Seared Scallops
Adapted from this recipe.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 1 box of angel hair pasta
- 3/4 lb of fresh scallops
- 5 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup of lemon juice or more to taste
- 1/2 a bushel of asparagus
- 1 container of Gorgonzola cheese
- Salt & pepper
1. Rinse scallops and pat dry. Sprinkle the scallops with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter over high heat in a skillet until foamy.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet on high heat. Chop the asparagus into small pieces (about 1 inch in length). Cook the asparagus in the pan until tender.
3. Cook the pasta per the package directions until al dente. Angel hair pasta only takes about 4 minutes once the water is boiling.
4. While the pasta is cooking, place the scallops in the skillet in a single layer. Cook the scallops, turning once, until brown on outside and just opaque in center, which is about 2 minutes per side. Remove from the pan and set aside.
5. Drain the pasta and return to the pot over low heat. Stir in lemon zest, lemon juice, remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 tablespoon of butter, and the cooked asparagus. Toss to coat, then season with salt and lots of pepper. Add the Gorgonzola cheese and mix gently until pasta is coated evenly.
6. To serve, divide the pasta between the bowls and add scallops.
Smell ya later -